Affordable Rental Housing
Sarasota Housing Funding Corporation has partnered with the City of Sarasota and Sarasota County governments to develop and/or acquire 67 affordable apartments and homes in Sarasota that are owned and managed by Sarasota Housing Funding Corporation and leased to low and very-low income families.
Sarasota Housing Funding Corporation is now looking to continue addressing affordable housing challenges locally. These housing needs and challenges should be community efforts addressed through community partnerships, not just depending on Department of Housing and Urban Development subsidy, which has seen real reductions over the last ten years.
Our mission is to expand the supply of affordable housing in Sarasota and raise funds to support services and programs to enhance the lives of our Sarasota Housing residents.
Renovated and Detached Homes
Single Family Homes
Our single family homes are a unique rental housing opportunity for low-income families. The Sarasota Housing Authority currently rents twelve (12) renovated single-family homes located throughout Sarasota County. Rent is set at affordable amounts to accommodate qualifying low-income families. Section 8 voucher holders are also welcomed to apply and live in the homes.
- The homes are single family, detached homes, with off-street garaged parking, and spacious yards to enjoy.
- For the health of our families, all of our properties are non-smoking.
- Kitchens are furnished with a refrigerator, stove and dish washer.
- Washer and dryer hookups are available in all houses.
- Each house has a central air conditioning unit.
- All houses are within reasonable walking distance of bus stops. Public Transportation is provided by Sarasota County Area Transit.
Market Rate Apartments
Flint River Apartments
Close to shopping, restaurants, bus stop, schools, parks and downtown!
- Each unit is spacious with three beds and two full baths.
- The units have large open kitchen.
- Whirlpool appliances and a GE stack-able washer/dryer.
- Rental Rates are $1400.00 per month
The family must have a minimum income of 2 times the monthly rental rate to quality for a unit. Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8) are Welcome. Flint River is a market rate development.
Steps to getting an Apartment or Home:
- You must apply for housing when the wait list is open – Waiting List Status
- Sarasota Housing Authority Waiting List Application – Apply Here
- Please select the appropriate application from the choices. Note: you may apply for more than one property at a time due to the fact that they each have their own waiting list.
- If you are already on a waiting list and need to update your contact information only, you must update your contact information by clicking here – Update Application. All other updates must be in writing and sent or brought to 269 S. Osprey Avenue, Sarasota, FL 34236.
Wait for Official Documents:
If an apartment is available for you and your name is at the top of the wait list, you will receive a letter from Sarasota Housing Authority. The letter provides contact information and other required information regarding documents that you must provide to ensure that all of the information that is currently on file is up to date. This is the final step to ensure you qualify for the program where the apartment is located. You must comply with requests within the letter and follow all instructions. You will be given an appointment date and time to meet with the Property Manager.
Final Qualification Meeting:
During your final qualification meeting with the Property Manager, you will be provided with a date and time to conduct a move in orientation. A move in orientation is a meeting to review and sign all lease documents. You will be responsible to pay your prorate rent and security deposit at the move in orientation in the form of a money order. No Cash is accepted. Once you have completed the orientation, you and the Property Manager will conduct a move in inspection. You will receive your keys after the inspection is completed.
At the time of your lease signing, you will review lease and all lease documents, your manager will review information specifically related to your new development and also about living in a Sarasota Housing Authority community in general. You and your manager will go over the following information:
- Your Lease
- The Pet Policy
- How to pay rent
- Your obligation to recertify your income
- Rules concerning annual inspections of your apartment
- Housekeeping Policy
- House Rules
- Parking and Towing Policy
- Trash removal rules
- Other amenities and services
- Requests for repairs/work orders
Rent will be based on the higher of these three (3) methods (depending on income category):
1. The Home Low Rent – as determined by Department of Housing and Urban Development annually,
2. The Home High Rent – as determined by Department of Housing and Urban Development annually, or
3. The Housing Choice Voucher Payment Standard if you are an Housing Choice Voucher recipient.
Rent and other charges are due and payable on the first day of the month. All rents should be paid at the Property Manager’s office. Reasonable accommodations for this requirement will be made for persons with disabilities. Sarasota Housing Funding Corporation cannot accept cash payments. If a tenant fails to pay rent by the 5th calendar day of the month, a Notice to Vacate shall be issued to the tenant and a $35 late fee shall be assessed. The Notice to Vacate shall provide the tenant three (3) calendar days in which to pay their rent in full, in addition to the $35 late charge. If rent is paid by a personal check and the check is returned for insufficient funds, this shall be considered as a non-payment of rent and will incur the late charge plus an additional charge of $35 for processing costs. In addition, no further personal checks will be accepted from the resident.
The Neighborhood Stabilization Program developments are not subsidized and do not receive federal funding therefore they do not adjust rent throughout the lease term. The rent at move in is the rent that the tenant will pay for the remainder of the year.
Your Healthy Home
We strive to keep our residents healthy through a variety of polices and practices. You must adhere to the Housekeeping Policy and Sarasota Housing Funding Corporation provides pest control service at no cost to the resident.